---- Our Attorneys ----
Rene M. Baptiste
Reason is the life of the law, nay the common law is nothing else but reason.” – Sir Edward Coke
Rene M. Baptiste C.M.G LL.B (Hons.); L.E.C. ACIArb
René Baptiste is the managing partner of the law firm. She has been practicing at the Bar of St. Vincent and the Grenadines Bar for over 40 years and is also called to the Bars of Antigua and St. Kitts.
- She began her undergraduate studies at the then 1 Year old Faculty of Law of the University of the West Indies to read Law at the Cave Hill Campus, Barbados as the recipient of a prestigous W-I-S-A Scholarship in 1971. She graduated in with an LLB(Hons) degree in 1974 then proceeded to the newly established Hugh Wooding Law School where she received her Legal Education Certificate in 1976.
- From 1976- 1986 she served as the pioneer manager of the St. Vincent Trust Authority In March 1986, René opened her private law firm and was actively engaged in the practice of law from 1986 – 2001 and was fortunate enough to appear before the Privy Council during that time.
- She has been a notary public since 1991
- She became a member of both the Offshore Institute in 1996 as well as the International Bar Association. She is also a member of the American Bar Association (International Associate), the International Tax Planning Association. On December 31, 2010 Miss Baptiste was a recipient of the CMG honour from Her Majesty the Queen in her New Year’s Honours List for 2011. Thereafter she was elected as Speaker of the OECS House of Assembly in 2012 and re-elected in 2016.
- After being elected as a Parliamentary Representative in 2001 she served as Minister of Tourism and Culture and later Minister of Urban Development, Culture, Labour and Electoral Matters before her return to the law in 2011
- Member of CIARB, Advisory Counsel to UWI, Member of Chamber of Commerce and South East Asia Chamber of Commerce, and Chairman of Vinlec.
Law is order, and good law is order.” – ARISTOTLE, Politics
Michaela Ambrose, LLB (Hons)
- Michaela Ambrose graduated from the St. Vincent Girls’ High School in 2002. Michaela then migrated to the United Kingdom where she undertook the University of Wolverhampton LLB(Hons) program at Holborn College and graduated with Honors in 2006. Subsequently, she attended the London Metropolitan University and graduated with a Postgraduate Diploma in International Business.
- Michaela then enrolled at the City Law School in London and sat the Bar Vocational Course. She is a member of the Honorable Society of Lincoln’s Inn and was Called to the Bar of England & Wales in November 2010.
- Michaela was Called to the Bar of St. Vincent & the Grenadines in February 2011 and has been an Associate at the Chambers of Baptiste & Co Law Firm Inc since February 2011. After returning to St. Vincent she commenced work in the suburban communities in youth rehabilitation. She is the head of the Chambers’ criminal litigation department and also practices civil litigation such as family law, property law and wills to name a few.
- She has been sworn as a Notary Public in 2017.
Mikhail A.X. Charles
Lawyers are in the business of advocacy, not judgment. – ALLAN C. HUTCHINSON, Is Killing People Right?
Mikhail A.X. Charles, LL.M
Mikhail Charles is a Senior Associate of the firm currently on a 2-year consultancy contract as a Legal Officer (Assistant) with the Rule of Law Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat.
- He received his LL.B (Hons.) from the University of Wales, his Post Graduate Diploma in Professional Legal Skills from The City University Law School (formerly the Inns of Court Law School) and was admitted to the Utter Bar of England and Wales from the Honourable Society of the Inner Temple. Mikhail also holds an LL.M in Corporate and Insolvency Law from Nottingham Trent University.
- He holds several other certifications and accreditations and is currently pursuing the CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner) credential from the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners He is an LL.M in Corporate and Insolvency Law from Nottingham Trent University. He is an Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and a founding member of the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Chapter as well as an Associate of the Certified Fraud Examiners (USA), a member of the Commonwealth Lawyers Association, and The Commonwealth in England Bar Association. He was admitted to the Vincentian Bar on September 19th 2013 and is admitted to the Saint Lucian and Grenadian Bars.
- Mikhail has particular strengths in General Commercial Law, Criminal Law and Serious Fraud and Financial Crime.
- Since his admission to the local Bar in 2013, Mikhail has embraced the strong and unique tradition of public service and civic involvement – serving on the Executives of the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Bar Association (2014 -2016), Taekwondo Association (2014-2016), Young Professionals Association (Director, 2014 -2016).
- He served as Locum counsel at ECTEL which ended in 2018.
Moureeze L. Franklyn
Justice cannot be for one side alone but must be for both” – Eleanor Roosevelt
Moureeze L. Franklyn
Moureeze Franklyn is a Junior Associate of the firm and was called to the Bar of St. Vincent in November 2015.
- She completed her undergraduate studies at the University of the West Indies and obtained her Legal Education Certificate at the Hugh Wooding Law School.
- She is a member of both the civil and criminal litigation departments at the firm and has gained experienced in matters involving Family Law, Conveyancing as well as Banking and Commercial law.
- Moureeze is also avidly interested in languages, she taught French at both the primary and secondary levels before pursuing her law degree. She also speaks Spanish and has completed courses in Mandarin.
- She has a passion for community service, and is involved in several organisations, primarily the Leo Club St. Vincent (Director, 2016) and the Caricom Youth Ambassadors (SVG) Committee (Deputy Female, 2016).
Elected in July 2017 as Leo Club St. Vincent President, the club is the junior arm of the Lions Club Kingstown. The Leo Club is a non-profit organisation with a focus on community service projects.
Appointed as St. Vincent and the Grenadines Country Co-Ordinator for Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassador Network (CYPAN) - August 2017. The Commonwealth Youth Peace Ambassadors Network (CYPAN) brings together young people from across the Commonwealth to upscale and optimise grassroots, national, regional and Pan-Commonwealth efforts to promote peace, respect & understanding and preventing violent extremism.
---- Consultants ----
Dr. Jason K. Haynes
Success through faith and discipline."
Jason K. Haynes
Dr. Jason K. Haynes is National Scholar, 2011 British Chevening Scholarship recipient and a 2012 Commonwealth Scholarship recipient.
- He holds a first class honors degree from the University of the West Indies (LLB) as well as a Master of Laws (with distinction) from the University of Nottingham and a postgraduate certificate in Academic Practice from Durham University in addition to a doctorate in International and European Law from Durham University. Dr. Haynes was awarded the Durham University Teaching and Learning award for excellent in teaching.
- Dr. Haynes is a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Authority, and has contributed to several journals, including the Journal of International Dispute Settlement, International and Comparative Law Quarterly, European Human Rights Review, European Intellectual Property Review, and the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal, amongst others.
- He is currently a Lecturer of Family Law, Human rights law and Integration law at the University of the West Indies Mona Campus, Jamaica, and is the first person to develop and offer the courses Investment and Sports Law at the University. He also lectures EU Law via distance learning at Arden University, UK.
- He is expected to graduate from the Norman Manley Law School with the Legal Education Certificate in 2017.
- Dr. Haynes is currently on sabbatical from the firm.
---- Support Staff ----
Mr. K-wani Roberts, a current national scholarship holder and first year law student at the University of the West Indies Cave Hill Campus has emerged the winner of the recently held Clarke Gittens Farmer Mooting Competition. The event, which is held annually by the University’s Law Society, has been considered one of the most prestigious mooting competitions in the Southern Caribbean. The first year participants this year argued in the area of Criminal law. Additionally, K-wani also took home the “Best Memorial” Award which is based on the written submissions.
- K-wani is presently a 2nd year student at UWI.
- Mr. Roberts joined the firm in October 2015 as a Pre-Law Student and was a staple before embarking on his studies in August 2016.
- Mr. Roberts also currently serves as the Constitutional Chairperson of the Vincentian Students’ Association Cave Hill and the Sir Philip Sherlock Hall Council respectively. The Staff of Baptiste and Co. congratulates this son of the soil and wishes him all the best in his future endeavours!
Odelinda Barbour joined the firm as the Legal Executive in early 2011, already familiar with the ins-and-outs of the firm having been employed in the summer of 2006 as a Junior Clerk.
- She is currently enrolled in the University of the West Indies: Open Campus pursuing a BSc in Management Studies (International Management).
- In her capacity as the Legal Executive she serves as Corporate Secretary for the firm with responsibility for several aspects of the practice; intellectual property (trademarks and patents), company registrations including change of particulars, inspection of files, annual returns registrations, citizenship applications, entry level visa applications, residence and work permit applications.
- She is also actively involved in community work, serving as secretary on the Caricom Youth Ambassadors (SVG) Committee for 2016 and continuing her commitment in 2017.
Lakita P. Harry
Lakita P. Harry
Lakita Patricia Harry serves the Firm as a Legal Assistant and Social Secretary.
- She enrolled into the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Cadet Force in her early years as a secondary school student and in the Mijé Personal Development and Advertising Agency, where she learned to utilize her confidence to the best of her ability when dealing with customers, poise, dependability, commitment and ability to overcome obstacles.
- After receiving her secondary education at the Thomas Saunders Secondary School institution, she took it a step further and studied at the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Community College Division of Arts, Science and General Studies. She then pursed her Associate Degree in Applied Science in Business Studies: Sales and Marketing at the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Community College Division of Technical and Vocational Education graduating on Jun 25th, 2013.
- Upon her completion of her Associate Degree, Miss. Harry interned at our local Caribbean airline, LIAT 1974 (LTD).
- She was also certified as a seamstress on December 12th, 2015.
- She continues to strive for excellence.
Joan Cunningham joined the law firm in March 2011. She holds the position of Chief Clerk. Her duties extend to include the preparation of conveyances, mortgages, lease agreements, bills of sale, alien landholding licences, and Probate.
Susan Barbour has been with the firm from its initial inception* in 1986 as Rene Baptiste’s Law Chambers. She originally served as messenger and was later promoted to her current position of Filing Clerk.
Rayshawn Adams joined the law firm in November 2014. He currently holds the position of Office Assistant. His duties include filing documents at the high court and providing process service.